Often called Wakes, Funeral Receptions, A Celebration of Life, or a Memorial- Alan and Wendy have been hosting them since time at the Shoulder began! We are highly recommend by many Funeral professionals and previous customers, who come back time and again. We are recognised for our empathy and compassion when planning the event, and efficiency and friendly service when you are here.
We have three areas that we can host your reception, but the conservatory is the most popular, due to its light airy free and openness onto and overlooking the garden. In the winter months the roaring fireplace is truly welcoming. The back bar area, regal with its red carpet, is snug and next to the bar. Ideal for smaller groups.
Organising a reception with us is effortless and simple. Here is how it works:
- Call, email, or pop in for an initial date enquiry.
- Meet with either Wendy, Alan, or Amy in person for a face-to-face meeting.
We ask lots of questions to cover all bases. And you can see the different areas of the pub.
- Or you can arrange it all over the phone.
- Pay a deposit of £5 per guest. Best made in person, or over the phone. Not via bank transfer please.
- Arrive on the day, or the day before if you wish to drop photos boards off.
- Before you leave pay the balance.
Things to consider:
- Would you like a bar tab? Yes- Unlimited, to an amount, or first drink? Or no, guests buy their own?
- For large groups it’s good to have a wine table, and/or soft drinks away from the bar area. Good idea? Think about a limit.
- Would you like to play background music? Or perhaps someone in the family would play live music?
- Would you like a memory table? For photos, a memory book, laptop of images.
- Do any guests have any dietary requirements? Allergies, or intolerances?
I have been to many wakes locally and yours are by far the best.
Thank very much for the splendid spread you provided on Wednesday July 10th. The venue, food and weather helped to celebrate a life well lived. The quiches and fruit punch were particular prize winners. Our compliments to the chef.
Dear Wendy, your husband and all your staff, Thank you so much for the funeral reception you laid on for my mother. Everyone present said how lovely it was at ‘The Shoulder’. You, your staff and the ambience of the setting made for a very relaxed atmosphere. The food was absolutely excellent and everyone commented on it…
A typical buffet would consist of the following:
Home-made Quiche, it’s delicious! (Can be vegetarian, V)
Crudités with dips V GF
Wide selection of fresh sandwiches (Can be GF and vegetarian, V)
Hot spring rolls V
Hot samosas V
Hot sausage rolls
Hot Chicken satay sticks GF
Crisps V GF
Mini cakes and pastries (or scones with jam and cream +£1.50p.p) V
£17.95 with Tea and coffee on tap
(Changes to the menu may vary the price*)
Changes to the Menu
We can include more cold dishes in the summer, or more hot dishes in the winter. For example- garlic bread, chunky chips, olives, a cheese board … the list goes on. It may alter the price.
You could add a home-made dessert, for example– Sticky Toffee Pudding, Mini Pavlovas or Black Forest Gateaux. However, this will add £4.50 per person.
The Hot Fork Buffet is great for winter months and lunch time parties where guests have travelled far. Both menus can be tailored to suit the clients wishes, including specific dietary requirements.
Many parties are reserved the sole use of our conservatory, which is ideal for parties of 20-35. Larger parties can be accommodated in both the conservatory and adjoining bar areas, or in the garden in the summer. Maximum persons in the winter- 90, warmer months- 130. A smaller bar area is also available for groups of 12-20.
The pub is closed to the general public between the hours of 3-6pm daily, this means that the whole pub is available for private hire during this time. There is now a charge for small groups (of 30 or less than) and at any time on a Monday, for opening during this time. For more information on out-of-hour fees please contact the pub. We now apply a 4 hour maximum stay. This is generally more than enough time.
£50 minimum, to be refunded on the day. We no longer accept cheques, sorry for any inconvenience. We can take a BACS payment, but prefer the direct ‘over the phone’ approach.